Sunday, August 2, 2009

LGB parents please read

One of the things I am most proud of is how my partner and I share the joy of reading with our children. Our kids clamor to hear our voices telling stories--about trains, funny stories, rhyming stories...books that don't insult their intelligence by being commercials for television shows.

As a follower of Mombian, a queer website about queer parenting, I appreciated being alerted to a great kids' book by the famed author of "Heather Has Two Mommies", Leslea Newman The board book is a wonderfully sweet book about the every day life of a child in the home with a Mommy and a Mama. At first reading, it reminded me of the books by Todd Parr, another favorite in our household. But earlier today as I sat with my daughter in my lap waiting for her Mama, my wife, to come back from running errands, it dawned on me that this book was more than a simple board book. In fact, I truly felt that here was a book that soon-to-be (same-gendered) parents could use to guide them in seeing how queer parenting really is. Beyond saying "look we're just like everyone else", it's comforting to read how easy this recounting of life for queer parents can be. I know not all queer moms go by Mommy and Mama, but in my family we do, and my daughter who isn't even two could point to the pictures and say Mommy and Mama and point to me and my wife. She saw her family, something I can't say she does in 99 percent of the books we read.

Now, convincing heteros that queer parents are just as good is a whole other animal...

No comments: